Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default beware parsnips

In article ,
"Mike....." writes:

| Secondly, parsnips are normally harvested in winter, when
| there isn't any sun in the UK to notice (for most people).
|
| So the word "probably" is wrong.
|
| nope, you will probably get burns under the conditions I specified, I said
| "in the sun" and I meant "in the sun" theres no need to qualify with
| "winter". (If you have never known a bright winters day I dont know where
| you live but it can't be UK or do you just like trying to put peope down
| who are providing info you were ignorant of?).

Sigh. I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

Photosensitivity (like sunburn) is a function of the ultraviolet,
and the level of that even on a bright winter's day in the south
of England is EXTREMELY low and, except on a few exceptional days,
effectively nil. Look it up.

Also, you should ignore most Web nonsense that says that everyone
is equally sensitive (or even sensitive) to various plants - that
is not true even for giant hogweed, rue and Euphorbia. Again,
look that up in scientific papers, not stuff written for the hoi
polloi.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.