Old 07-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Trunk chopping a Crabapple

Jeff:
An alternative to trunk chopping would be to do an air layering higher
up on the trunk and save the topof the tree as is.

Carl L. Rosner

Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL) wrote:

The big spring gardening sales are finally starting up here on the frigid
"northcoast." I've noticed quite a few crabapple trees in 2-5 gallon pots
that look pretty nice, but of course the lowest branches are way to high.
Now, I realize there are significant differences between varieties, but just
wondering...do "typical" crabapple trees bounce back after severe trunk
chops that leave no foliage? Out of curiosity, does anyone have a list of
trees that will survive severe trunk chops - other than maples!?!

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39 and still snowing

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++