Old 03-07-2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Salvaging - A Closer Look

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
So called "SALVAGE and RESTORATION (of a forest) by my good friend critic
from - Texas Don Staples who keeps taking me to task is addressed here.

As the story goes with respect to the plight of the Koala, humans are
breaking too many connections too fast. As a result many living things
are leaving this earth. If this trend continues, only microscopic living
things will remain, and the circle of life will go back to beginning. Dr.
Alex L. Shigo. The

The plight of this partially blind koala [see picture he #431
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...itis/fire.html ] is due
to ignorance of tree basics. Koalas eat the leaves of only about six
species of Eucalyptus. Man loved the koala's so much, he built his homes
close to the Eucalyptus Groves because he wanted to be close to them.
But, the Eucalyptus Groves go up very fast and burn very hot. So, out of
the ignorance of tree biology, man dug fire trenches. In doing so, the
trees were injured below ground (woody and non-woody roots - for
starters). When trees are threatened or injured - they do something -
they respond. Because of the fire ditches to reduce the threat of fire
and over development, most of the leaves on the declining trees in the
area tanned. Tanning is a chemical process of combining phenol-based
substances with proteins, and the disruption of hydrogen bonds leaves the
protein indigestible. In one sense the hydrogen bonds, are held open by
toothpicks. The enzymes of the koala would enter to digest the leaves.
Tanning is like, removing the toothpicks. The animals ate and ate, but
received little nutrition. Lots of moisture, wet spot developed. A
spirochete similar to syphilis entered and was passed along by mating.
Many koalas died. The good news is that development in the area was not
only stopped, but many developed areas will be returned to their original
state.

With that said, I think the treatment to once fertile forest, yes even in
Texas, such as Don Staples refers to as "SALVAGE AND RESTORATION" per his
website, is deforestation. You cannot plant a forest. Yes, I claim he is
a crook, to sell people removing everything remaining is restoration by
means of salvaging and leads to some sort of improvement of health of
trees as well as associates.
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

I wondered what function wood would play in PROTECTING A FOREST containing
any species of trees. So I read some publications that were peer-reviewed
in refereed journals. The US FOREST SERVICE has a awesome library system.
The researchers are some of the finest in the world. So I decided to
document these findings. I prophesize that negative results will happen
if Don's salvaging plans are carried out.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...tis/index.html I tried
to give page, paragraph and so forth where quotes can be found.

Please think. There is no reason why you cannot think. BTW, all parts of
a tree are born alive and trees only absorb water when the roots are
growing. This is the beginning of a response to a year of negative
criticism from Don Staples and company. There has been a long time battle
between Modern Arboriculture and Old Arboriculture in Texas.

--
Do to the overwhelming amount a negative criticism by a few individuals on
this list, I am "only" willing to get into debate by way of email. I have
and fertilization can be found at www.treedictionary.com

Happy gardening!

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that will give them understanding.

My thinking is in terms of an ecosystem, not just the forest and its trees.
In the hill country of central Texas, there are 2 predominant trees. One is
the juniper ashe (cedar), and the other is the live oak. No sooner folks
buy their 5, 10, or 20 acre plot of land; they are out there clearing out
all the "cedars", and undergrowth. There's no more hiding places for the
white-tailed deer, the jackrabbits, the "coons", and possums. Before
clearing, the white-tailed deer have regular routes in foraging. As a
consequence, they (deer) either change their route, or, disappear from the
area completely. Yet, the same people, if asked why they moved out here,
say they love seeing the deer among other reasons. I shake my head in
disgust of their ignorance. Basically, it looks like a mild open desert
with trees (live oaks) here and there when done. Automobiles have pretty
much decimated the armadillo in Texas. Another Texas native, the
roadrunner, is slowly dying away.

If you want a project, suggest researching the ecosystem of Central Texas.
In particular, the relationship between juniper ashe, the live oak, and
various sundry undergrowth with wildlife. Texas A&M, the common source of
tree, and other plant life knowledge here, is more concerned with how stuff
affects people's lives and targets single species, not the ecosystem during
their research projects. As you advertise being a professional, I thought
would be appropriate for you.

Texas is basically divided into a few general areas regarding natively
growing trees. East, the piney woods. Coastal, generally mesquite and a
few oaks. Told you about Central Texas. North is generally a plains area.
West, generally desert. So, you have to be more specific when targeting
Texas regarding "forest".
--
Dave

New drilling sites for oil offshore and other
sensitive places. Question is, will that oil
go here in the U.S., or someplace else for sale?