Old 03-07-2008, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

On Jul 1, 4:56 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:20:01 -0700 in K Barrett wrote:

No! Motzarella carries alt.binaries.pictures.orchids! Pretty cool!
Here's the link, if it helps anyone out...

http://news.motzarella.org/

motzarella.org didn't initially carry abpo.
I requested they ad it shortly after I started using them.
They warned that they didn't have any real binary feeds, and
content so far agrees with that.
It'll be interesting to see how far Ray's test post propogates out.
It may become use motzarella.org for posting orchid pics.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Here's a link to two articles on the dropping of hierarchies. I know
people on the mystery group are going to Germany's motzarella (I think I
spelled that right) but again I'm pretty sure its text only.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9967119-38.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9967004-38.html

K Barrett

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."

This is exciting news for me, so I went right to the site and
registered.
I got registered, got the e-mail with a password. First I tried
changing my old Time Warner account over to this by changing the
server name. etc. That didn't work and I figured it was because it was
sending out the wrong password (it didn't ask for a password).

OK, I should say I that I use Thunderbird for mail and newsgroups. Can
someone tell me what I'm missing? Here's what I did:
I started over making a new account. I assumed there would be a place
to put in the correct user name and password. I was never prompted to
put in a name or password and the new account didn't work either.

[ Hold on, I just thought of one more thing to try and stumbled onto
the answer by pure luck. I'll continue with what I did in case others
need to know.]

Quote from the motzarella web site:
"The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:

* Mozilla Thunderbird

Tools - Account Settings - Server Settings
Always request authentication when connecting to this server "

Of course, I did that before I started to write this message and it
still didn't work.

There are 2 hierarchies available without logging in. My idea was to
look for the answer there before I continued here. I subscribed to one
group that looked promising. It didn't have my answer but...
surprise... it asked for my name and password before I entered. Now
I'm logged in and have subscribed to the 2 orchid newsgroups.

So... as long as the motzarella deal lasts, I'm all set and this will
be my last post using Google.

Steve