Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Nana Rowe's lily - for Bob

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
01 taken at beginning of June when in bud, others taken a few days ago.

Sorry, I did reduce the size, honestly. Not enough, obviously :-(

Mary, that is a perfect picture of a monstrous growth, it's something that
happens to plants when the growing tip is damaged and it flattens out into
a line instead of a point. You often see Cacti grown like that
deliberately, making a sort of crest.

Well, that's an answer of some kind, I've neve heard of it but don't hear of
much about lilies :-)

Or cacti ...

It may be a chemical you have used

I don't use any chemicals anywhere near it. Spouse uses Derris on the
gooseberry, as you know, but that's many yards away and he's very careful.

or some other reason

Could it be mechanical damage? I have a couple of hive supers round it to
keep away the hens but they were only put there after they were scratching
round.

so I would suggest you repot when it's dormant, be careful what you use on
it next season, and see what happens next year.

As I said, it happened last year although didn't flower.

And it's not in a pot, it's been in the open ground since we got it, never
disturbed except possibly by Zen, Gen and Rab, little buggers!

Should I keep it in a pot?

Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply.

Mary