Old 03-07-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Cordyline problem?

Sandy wrote:
Hi,

I have a red cordyline which has happily lived in a pot on the patio
for the last couple of years. However, this spring it was starting to
look a little "tired" and a lot of the lower leaves were drying up
and dropping off.

I re-potted it into a slightly larger glazed ceramic pot but it
doesn't appear to be getting any better. The colour looks faded,
compared to the vibrant specimens I've seen at the nursery, there's
no new growth and some of the lower leaves are still dropping off.

Is there anything I can do to revive it or does it have any special
requirements?

As far as I am aware, the cordylines with "red" leaves are not as hardy as
those with green leaves. Was it subject to colder temperatures last winter?

Was the compost very wet when you removed it from the old pot? It may be
that the roots have been too wet and rotted off. If so, it may be possible
to cut away the damaged part and get the stem/trunk to reroot in
well-drained compost.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)