Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default What are 'greens'?

In article ,
T i m writes:

| I was talking to the missus tonight re my recent produce growing
| experiment and she used the term 'greens'.
|
| I understood the term to be a generic one that related to most green /
| leafy, typically eaten cooked vegetables but primarily cabbage (but
| including broccoli, kale, spinach etc etc). I personally use the term
| like when living with my parents as in "you aren't leaving the table
| till you eat all your greens" sort of thing.

Yup.

| But those other vegetables are generally sold and advertised as such
| (like spinach rather than generic 'greens' as such).

Usually, but "spring greens" is a pretty common category, normally
meaning curly kale.

| She was confused (being even less of a gardener than me) as in the
| supermarkets she buys items marked as 'greens' on the packet so
| assumed they were an actual variety as such (sort of a thinner leafed
| cabbage).

Yup, that's what they are. Brassica oleracea (the cabbage species)
includes the kales, brussels sprouts, broccoli, many oriental greens
and more.

| I'm not sure if I would put brussel sprouts in the 'greens' category
| though (personally I'd put them straight in the compost bin) .;-)
|
| So, what does the panel think (apart from my need to get out more
| etc). ;-)

You should eat up your greens and not ask what they are?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.