Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
T i m T i m is offline

Default What are 'greens'?

On 3 Jul 2008 21:08:49 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

| I understood the term to be a generic one that related to most green /
| leafy, typically eaten cooked vegetables but primarily cabbage (but
| including broccoli, kale, spinach etc etc). I personally use the term
| like when living with my parents as in "you aren't leaving the table
| till you eat all your greens" sort of thing.

Yup.

So far so good then .. ;-)

| But those other vegetables are generally sold and advertised as such
| (like spinach rather than generic 'greens' as such).

Usually, but "spring greens" is a pretty common category, normally
meaning curly kale.

So, would you ever see a packet in a supermarket saying just 'Greens'
or would it actually say (as you suggest) 'Spring greens' (and in fact
be kale)? I'm trying to get to grips with the idea if they can market
a product called just 'Greens' or in fact is that simply still to
generic?

| She was confused (being even less of a gardener than me) as in the
| supermarkets she buys items marked as 'greens' on the packet so
| assumed they were an actual variety as such (sort of a thinner leafed
| cabbage).

Yup, that's what they are. Brassica oleracea (the cabbage species)
includes the kales, brussels sprouts, broccoli, many oriental greens
and more.

Hmmm, ok, so a packet could (say) be advertised as 'Mixed Cabbage' and
contain all you list above Nick?

| I'm not sure if I would put brussel sprouts in the 'greens' category
| though (personally I'd put them straight in the compost bin) .;-)
|
| So, what does the panel think (apart from my need to get out more
| etc). ;-)

You should eat up your greens and not ask what they are?

Hmm, I wish it were so simple.

Firstly I just don't like the taste of any 'greens'. It's not
something I have a choice over, it's simply a fact. I've eaten them
over the best part of 50 years but still don't like them. I believe
someone here once explained that such plants contain a similar
chemical as is found in sugar replacement / diet type drinks and I
(still) don't like that either.

I don't think I'm alone either but when some folk say they 'like'
greens they actually mean they don't mind them when the taste is
hidden behind a load of spices or garlic etc?

Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.

Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

FWIW and in case it helps, I actually LIKE runner beans (when shredded
in strips, don't like them in chunks or stringy), peas, broad / kidney
/ butter / baked beans g. I'm also ok with most of the root veg and
cucumbers / celery / onions etc but would rather eat a slug than a
courgette. :-(