Old 04-07-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default What vegtables can I plant now - advice/suggestions please

"Clunas" wrote in message

Hi,
I have just cleared a large section of lawn and have prepared it for
planting. I would like to see that veg will grow in the site. I would
very much like advice on what veg I can plant now (July in South East
Scotland) to test the site. Is it too late to plant root veg such as
potatoes?
I an quite an experienced gardener but I not had the space before to
plant veg.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

July is mid summer for you but I don't know what that means for temperatures.
You could be having "hot" days of 40F (5C) for all I know. What is your
typical nightly minimum and daily maximum at the moment? Will you get frost,
if so when will the first frost probably be?

Supplementary question: does the UK have maps available of growing zones (heat
zones, cold zones, growing days etc) similar to the USA and Australia?

David