Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
T i m T i m is offline

Default What are 'greens'?

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:45:04 +0100, Sandy
wrote:

So, still talking of cabbage, re the ones I have growing now, will
they get a heart as some point (ie, do they all) or are some just all
open leaves? (I think I have the model tag for them out there
somewhere).

Yes, they should do! Were these cabbages sown and planted out in
spring/early summer? If so, I think they should start forming hearts
over the next month or two ready for harvesting late summer/autumn.

I'm not sure Sandy as a gardener mate of mine gave them to me about 6
weeks ago as little (3") plants?

Also, some of the smaller cabbage- inner leaves are all screwed up and
look like they have a white stuff on them? Is this normal do you think
please?

Eeeek! that sounds like you have an aphid problem! Something I've also
been struggling with this year. The leaves curl over and you'll find
lots of little grey insects snuggled inside!

Ah. :-(

You can opt to blast them with a hose; spray with dilute washing up
liquid, or, if the infestation is /really/ bad, you might want to use
something such as Provado. I guess it all depends how you feel about
using chemicals on food products.

Hmm, same said gardener gave me a small bottle of 'Polysect' last year
and fearful of the black fly that eventually took over my runner beans
last year I sprayed them (and the cabbage) a day or so ago? [1]

I have no problems with chemicals as long as they are tried and tested
and I don't have to use them too often etc.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I first spotted some ants on the tops of the runners and I
remember last year seeing ants managing batches of black fly?