Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default What are 'greens'?

In article ,
T i m writes:

| So, would you ever see a packet in a supermarket saying just 'Greens'
| or would it actually say (as you suggest) 'Spring greens' (and in fact
| be kale)? I'm trying to get to grips with the idea if they can market
| a product called just 'Greens' or in fact is that simply still to
| generic?

They could, but it's unlikely.

| Yup, that's what they are. Brassica oleracea (the cabbage species)
| includes the kales, brussels sprouts, broccoli, many oriental greens
| and more.
|
| Hmmm, ok, so a packet could (say) be advertised as 'Mixed Cabbage' and
| contain all you list above Nick?

Probable "Mixed cabbages", but yes.

| Firstly I just don't like the taste of any 'greens'. ...
|
| I don't think I'm alone either ...

You're not.

| Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
| might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.
|
| Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

Try southern (USA) style. Cut into strips and cook fairly briefly in
a small amount of fairly strong, brown stock (esp. beef). The salt
and umami cut the bitterness.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.