Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
T i m T i m is offline

Default What are 'greens'?

On 4 Jul 2008 08:44:08 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

| Hmmm, ok, so a packet could (say) be advertised as 'Mixed Cabbage' and
| contain all you list above Nick?

Probable "Mixed cabbages", but yes.

;-)

| Firstly I just don't like the taste of any 'greens'. ...
|
| I don't think I'm alone either ...

You're not.

Good. I'm so often made to feel I am, like when she's trying to plan a
meal (she loves all greens). :-(

| Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
| might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.
|
| Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

Try southern (USA) style. Cut into strips and cook fairly briefly in
a small amount of fairly strong, brown stock (esp. beef). The salt
and umami cut the bitterness.

Ah, ok, another plan then, thanks.

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Is there an explanation why I mind less (I nearly said like
there! g) spinach and some of the darker cabbages please?