Old 04-07-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default beware parsnips

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

You shouldn't buy it then, make your own. It's easy and far, far
better.

There aren't enough hours in the year.

Oh come on! You spend time on the pc ...

Ah, but that's non-fattening.

Making marmalade is slimming. As long as you don't eat it ... you use more
energy making marmalade than poking at a keyboard.

Sounds good. It's only a few years since I finished using-up all the
jams and marmalade my mother made: some of the pots dated back to the
1950s, and some of the sugar crystals in those were hard as a hard
thing, and the size of sweets.

Yes, the slow growing crystals grow very large.

And very regular.

Microwaving the jars on the very lowest setting was fine, and the jam
became jam again, but a couple of days later it began to form crystals
again.

It would take years for them to get to the size of sweets though.

Well, as I said, some of the jam was from the 1950s. The crystals had
around forty years to grow...

And you said that a couple of days after dissolving the crystals in the
m/wave they began to gorm again. I find that hard to believe - that crystals
large enough to be detected would form after a couple of days.

whisper

I have a numbered bottle of single-cask-bottling of Linkwood. I'm
saving
it for a special occasion and/or (a) deserving conoisseur(s) innit.

looks round

your place or mine?

Well, bringing it back from Naaaardge on the bus was terrifying enough.

So yours.

p.s. so good to see that you use butter instead of something produced
by men
in white coats. Why not enhance it with your own produce?

I do, but ATM I haven't got a decent preserving pan. Well, I haven't
got
a preserving pan. I molish my own pickles and things though.

I have a large brass preserving pan going a-begging. I prefer to use a
very
large ss pan for all preserving. it's not as pretty but it was very cheap
and cleans easily - and of course there's no observable reaction between
metal and ingredients.

Hmmm. Linkwood meets preserving pan?

When are you in?

Microwave jam is really good, but you can only make so much at a time.
can make even less as I broke the turntable in the microwave.

:-)

I've never tried it - only recently bought a microwave - but the amounts
would make it inefficient.

Yes, it doesn't sound very efficient, but when you consider that you
only cook it for minutes, it takes on a whole new attractiveness.

Freezer jam is even more efficient...

And excellent for strawberries. Since I can't grow strawberries and won't
buy them any more that's just a memory.

Mary