Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default A surprise!

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| Just now I pulled up a 4" petty spurge (a frequent and several-times-daily
| activity although I usually get them when they're smaller).
|
| I noticed that on the underside of all the leaves were orange/brown slightly
| raised and crowded together spots.
|
| Any idea?

Rust.

| Is it transferable to other plants? I grow vegetables although the only
| plants growing close to this were Easter Ledger - bistort. We don't eat
| their leaves at this time of year.

Yes - to pretty well everything. But don't bother about it.

There is NO point is worrying about rust transmission, as the rust
fungi are ubiquitous, and there WILL be enough spores to infect your
plants no matter what you do. And the spores travel miles.

It causes trouble only under certain weather conditions, and there
is effectively damn-all you can do about it. If you have one of the
fungicides that our Lords and Masters forbid to the public but
encourage commercial planters to use in excess (like Benlate), you
can protect a few plants. Otherwise, you can decorate those plants
with Bordeaux mixture, which will make a pretty contrast with the
rust spores. Or you can call in your local weather witch and/or
petition your favoured deity.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.