Old 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking
pp[_2_] pp[_2_] is offline

Default Furmint Grape Vines Sought

On Jul 3, 10:21*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Joe Sallustio wrote:

On Jul 3, 9:08 am, "Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

I've been googling to find a location that sells furmint grape vines
without
any success. If anyone knows of a vendor, please post.

Thanks,

Paul

http://www.viticlonesupplies.com/id20.htm

Don't get excited, it looks like you'll be put on a waiting list..

You might give the University of California at Davis' viticulture
department a jingle. They might have a line on it (more likely someone
who could or has imported it).

If you're planning on making a Tokaj style wine, you had best learn
about botrytis cinerea, the mold that can turn a crop of white grapes
into gold or garbage. It is botrytis cinerea (a.k.a. bunch rot) that is
responsible for Sauternes, trokenbeerenausleses, and Tokaj.

Thanks, Billy, I wrote to them both. What I want to make is shipon, a
Slovenian white wine made from furmint grapes. (In Slovenian, the "sh"
sound
is indicated by an "s" with an inverted chevron on top, but I don't have
that letter available in my email fonts.) Anyway, it used to *be
available
everywhere in Cleveland in the 1960's and 1970's but just isn't imported
anymore, so I thought I'd grow my own.

Paul

Does it have a varietal flavor or is it the structure (fruitiness, mouth
feel, tannins, ect.) of the wine that you like? If it was cheap, it will
have been tank fermented (either a lined concret tank or stainless).. If
the weather is anything like Germany, the wines may be 6% to 11%
alcohol. I consider that consumer friendly. What did the one you have
taste like?

After 30 years, I remember it as having spicy tones and being very crisp,
somewhat Gewurztraminer-ish. It was my favorite of the Slovenian varieties.
I picked up some more recent descriptions on the Web:

"It has a lively, fruity, almost peppery nose with some grapey depth to it.
The palate is really lively and fresh, with an exuberant fruity, spicy
character and a hint of spritz on the bright, acidic finish. This is a very
pure, clean, minerally white that's full flavoured but zippy, and would be a
versatile food wine. "

"The specialty of the area is Sipon: the must can achieve an outstanding
content of aromatic oils and sugar, while the acids are less aggressive."

I ordered the last seven bottles of Sipon in stock at Zachys in Scarsdale,
NY, yesterday. They may be the last seven bottles in the U.S. I'll post a
review when they arrive.

Paul

You could check with Cornell too but Traminette grows well here in the
Northeast and sounds very similar. *It's my favorite local white.

Joe

Traminette is a European hybrid (Joannes Seyve 23.416 x
'Gewürztraminer). It will be less good than a good gewürztraminer, which
can be exceptional, with distinctive aromas of rose oil. *

I suspect that furmint is more like a good pinot grigio.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Barshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo59c7zU&feature=related- Hide quoted text -