Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Base for greenhouse

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Hi all

I am moving my greenhouse from the darkiest, shadiest part of the garden
to a sunnier area. I decided on a concrete base as I never grow anything
in the soil of the greenhouse, and I thought it would be more rat-proof!
We live in a very windy area and so the greenhouse needs to be firmly
secured.

I have a builder friend coming tomorrow to lay a concrete base for me,
but now I am rather belatedly having second thoughts. I am wondering if
a concrete base is a bad idea because of drainage - how to I ensure that
water can drain freely away?

You can tell I'm a bit clueless about all of this, any advice would be
very welcome.

Thanks

If it were me I would build a rectangular low wall in the ground for the
GH to sit on and either flag stone or chipping the inside or use the soil
and just have a path

That's what we did - with soil borders and a path. I can't understand why
anyone would want a whole concrete floor ...

I use the borders to grow crops in too, is there a problem with that?

Mary
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk