Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gavin[_2_] gavin[_2_] is offline

Default Scarifier

"Bob H" wrote in message
gavin wrote:
"old perennial" wrote in
message news
'gavin[_2_ Wrote:
;801293']My lawn has a lot of moss in it so I thought it would be a
good
idea to have
a go at raking it out. However, I had forgotten what hard work it is
with a
grass rake! I was sweating cobs tonight and only did a small part of
the
lawn - and then the heavens opened and rescued me :-)

I was wondering if an implement such as the one here

http://tinyurl.com/4lno2o

would do the trick? Has anyone used something like this? How effective
are
they - and more to the point how much less effort are they than a hand
rake?
If your going to the trouble of scarifying your lawn then you may as
well go the whole hog and aeriate it too. After spikeing, top dress
with a mixture of peat, JInumber 1 and river sand and brush it into the
holes. This will improve drain drainage and get some air to the roots
which will in turn discourage moss growth. Through the growing period
foliar feed the lawn with something like Lawn Magic which is a liquid
feed and can be applied by lawn feeder attched to a hosepipe. see
www.superspray.co.uk

Thanks very much for the advice - flipping heck, there's a lot more to
this
than meets the eye!

I used one like the the one in your link and got 2 bin bags full of thatch
from my front lawn.
And yes it was much easier than a garden rake, but you have to go over it
a number of times.

Thanks, Bob.