Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] man@privacy.net is offline

Default Growing Kabochas - When to pick them?

I grow kabocha squash, the so-called Japanese pumpkins. The plants look
for all the world to me just like pumpkins, zuchini and probably several
other squash type plants, and I can only tell what I'm growing for sure
when the "fruits" start growing. In fact, I have a couple of plants
right now that have me scratching my head and don't know what they are,
really.

Kabochas are rather like acorn squash, is my feeling. The meat is redder
than pumpkin, somewhat denser, and definitely sweeter. I can use them in
anything requiring pumpkin and also use them like acorn squash. They are
very tasty plain, or with butter. They seem to thrive in conditions that
work for pumpkins but tolerate somewhat cooler temperatures.

I plant many seeds and I don't thin at all. Given the choice between
quantity and size, I go for quantity. I'd rather have more plants
growing smaller fruit then less plants growing large fruits.

Each plant seems content to grow one "pumpkin" and then won't set
further fruit, or if it does, the extra fruit are practically nothing,
never getting bigger than a tennis ball. I figure I can grow more if I
harvest the first setting fruits before the season nears an end and let
another fruit set for each plant. That might double my crop, I figure.

Well, here's my question: these kabochas keep very well and in fact I
still have one or two from last season in the house. If I pick them way
before the season is over, say even before they turn completely grey
like they eventually do, will they keep as well as if I let them "cure
completely" on the vine? At what point can I "safely" remove them from
the vines?

Dan