Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
I think Stewart's right and it's a Cornus.
The fruit is a bit like what appears on my Cornus kousa, (though in other ways worryingly different), and it appears in the right position relative to the leaves, but I think the leaves themselves are just totally wrong for a Cornus. There is a very particular venation pattern to a cornus leaf which just doesn't seem to be on this one.

It isn't right for lychee, either. If you have ever been where they grow them, you get a "stick" of lychees, ie the fruit grow close together along a branchlet, as you also get with dates-on-a-stick, suggesting the flowers were a loose raceme.

As to what else it might be, sorry no further ideas.