Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
T i m T i m is offline

Default What are 'greens'?

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:18:35 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I was talking to the missus tonight re my recent produce growing
experiment and she used the term 'greens'.

Like religious festivals which fall on different dates depending on
which denomination celebrates them, 'greens' can mean many things to
mant people.

Ok ..

Loosely, I'd say, any green vegetable meant to be cooked, including
spinach, kale, Savoy and similar densely-hearted cabbages, kohl rabbi,
broccoli, cauliflower, ground elder, fat hen and the various related
oraches, etc, and so-on.

Ok, well I was with you up to broccoli ;-)

Used specifically, it usually refers to 'spring greens', which is a
sort-of open cabbage, sometimes closed though, and resembling a
spinning-top.

I know the one and thanks.

All the best

T i m