Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default Lining a large wooden planter / trough

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from Tom contains these words:

Hi, I have bought a large wooden trough (150cm). It's well made, but
rather than having draining holes at the bottom there are just 2 gaps (1
to 2 cm wide) running the length of the trough between the planks of wood.

How should I line this please? I was thinking of some chicken wire then
a layer of stones, then the soil. I don't want the soil coming out but
at the same time I don't want to prevent it draining.

Any help appreciated,

I line wooden troughs with black polythene.

You can get heavy 'membrane' from builders' merchants, and it's not dear.

Cheers. How many holes to you need to make at the bottom?

Thanks,

Tom