Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Repairing garden hoses...

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 5/7/08 14:30, in article , "Astral
Voyager" wrote:

Has anyone found an effective way of fixing pin-prick holes in
garden hoses?

I have tried bike puncture repair kits and self-vulcanising tape.
Both work
for a short while but eventually succumb to the water pressure.

Why do holes always appear near the middle of the hose rather than near an
end where you could maybe cut a section off???

Mel.

Perhaps you could cut off a section and using two connectors, insert
another. Probably/possibly more expensive than buying a new hose, though!

Nah - hose connectors ate ten a penny.

My hose suffers from pinprick syndrome, and I cut the hose where the
hole is, insert a short length of copper water pipe, wind something
durable round the joints (something which won't UV degrade, or rot), and
compress the ends of the hose onto the pipe with jubilee clips.

Proper hose clips are better, because they are more or less circular on
the inside, whereas jubilee clips have a bit of a lump, and this often
allows water to force its way out at that point.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig