Old 05-07-2008, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Which Tree

"Blairadamwitch" wrote

Hi,
Looking for advice on a tree to plant in my small front garden.

Don't want anything too expensive and would prefer an evergreen but
I'm flexible. My soil is clay builders junk/rubble.

Anybody have any ideas?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

You don't say where you are in the UK, or the aspect, sun levels etc, it
matters.

So it's well drained, if it's also sunny how about Albizia julibrissin, the
Silk Tree. Can take the cold to a point, -12°C in a friends garden, but not
cold with wet roots hence my comment about well drained. Similar but
slightly bigger eventually is Acacia dealbata what we call Mimosa
(N.Americans call the other one Mimosa)
If it's shady various Acers should work, choose one that grows to the size
you want, but they don't like to dry out at the roots.
A much smaller tree for a very sunny spot is the Pomegranate (we talked
about this a couple of weeks ago), Punica granatum which will also take cold
down to -10°C but it will need hot sun to flower.

Whatever you get remember the size they say on the label is usually at 10
years old, look around for similar trees that are older to get an idea of
the eventual size.
Do search around regards prices, a recent purchase of mine varied between
£65 (RHS Wisley) and £24.99 (local Farm Shop & GC) for exactly the same
sized large shrub.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden