Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Pullin' weeds

In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

On average, how much time would you say you devote per week pulling weeds
from the garden? I say per week, rather than per day because I used to pull
weeds on the farm - but I don't live on a farm anymore and I'm certainly not
going to devote 10 hours a day doing it.

My experiences pulling weeds in the fields made me completely apathetic
about them. However recently I've got it in my head that I might be able to
keep the garden clean without resorting to chemical warfare - but it just
doesn't seem to help. Dandilions, Catsear, Rye, and two others that I'm
actually gonna post an ID on here shortly are overrunning my garden even if
I do pull weeds for an hour a day.

Why in god's little green earth would you want to pull up dandelion and
rye? Dandelion has been much discussed here as it is a salad and
medicinal plant, and it also has an incredible taproot that transports
nutrient minerals to the surface to improve the soil.

Rye on the other hand creates an extremely large amount of biomass in
the soil which improves water retention and generally keeps the critters
happy.

Oh, are we talking lawn here?

Pour a slab and paint it green.

In my vegetable garden, I probably spend ten minute a week, if that
much, pulling weeds.

How do you keep the weeds down? Pulling them up, covering them over with
mulch, weapons of mass destruction, or do you just not worry about it
anymore?

Side question:

What is the best method for controlling rye grass growing up inside a clump
of something like rosemary or lavender?

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars