Old 06-07-2008, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Could I get a weed ID please

"Chris" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 2:32 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I am getting overrun by two weeds this year, well two additional weeds
anyway.

Thing is I never saw them before this year, so I'm wondering where they
came
from (bird droppings??).

At any rate the weeds are reasonably easy to remove, but they are just so
aggressive

Anway, here are some shots,
First, the garden troll is threatening me for invading his
territoryhttp://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/websize/P6190197.JPG

Now, these things appeared last year, utterly out of the blue. Simple to
pull up, but reproduce like
rabbitshttp://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/websize/P7050206.JPGhttp://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/websize/P7050207.JPG
They have purplish/green leaves and stems and the leaves resemble
pentagons.

Kinda hard to see it. Could it be Scotch Broom?

Chris

Definitely not Scotch Broom, I have that in spades along the back fence.
Scotch Broom is a very woody scrub, which is also almost impossible to
eradicate. This is a single plant, almost 4 foot tall when mature with that
mass of yellow flowers on top. Like I said, the stem is almost purple.

These are small, really easy to pull up, but choke any plants they get
around.http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P7050209.JPG
warning - its a huge
imagehttp://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/P7050209.JPG