Old 06-07-2008, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default basic orchid care?

On 7/5/2008 2:36 PM, enigma wrote:
i bought an orchid because it was in the dollar bin (regularly
$13.99) no ID tags.
other than filtered sunlight, what makes orchids happy?
lee

This varies by the type of orchid.

I have two Phalaenopsis orchids (moth orchids) in my breakfast room
greenhouse window. They are strictly house plants in my climate. They
are potted in bark chips without any soil. I have to be careful to
avoid getting water into the center of the leaves, which might cause the
plants to rot and die.

I have a Cymbidium orchid on my patio. In my climate, it's an outdoor
plant to be brought inside (a) only if we are expecting a record freeze
or (b) to show off its flowers. It's potted in a combination of bark
chips and my do-it-yourself potting mix. I squirt it with a hose 2-3
times a week.

Some orchids require cooler temperatures than are found in my garden,
cooler than I can afford to provide via air conditioning during the
summer (100F today). Others require temperatures and humidity higher
than would be comfortable for me (humidity much higher than the 22%
relative that we had at noon today). Some orchids require real soil;
others grow in the leaf litter accumulated on the branches of trees.
Some are strictly shade plants; others need some direct sun.

The most important thing is that some orchids are easy to grow by
novices while others are difficult to grow even by experts. I suggest
you take the plant to a full-service nursery (not a lumber yard or
hardware store), have them identify it, and get their advice on caring
for it.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean