Old 06-07-2008, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Which Tree

On 5/7/08 23:34, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

My mother had a winter viburnum - as a standard tree. I presume it had
been grafted on to something, as usually, it is of a shrubby disposition
IME. Mine certainly is.

I wouldn't recommend it for as specimen for a lawn; in my humble opinion
it's better suited to an informal woodland garden. Winter honeysuckle
(Lonicera fragrantissima, or an allied species), again in my humble
opinion, would be a better choice, but it is also deciduous. But I don't
know what soil or climate it likes.

Recently, I got an evergreen honeysuckle. Looks like the ordinary
common-or-garden variety. After initial sulking, it's decided it likes
where I've put it and is reaching for the sky.

I've seen a Cotoneaster grown as a weeping standard. It's probably not more
than 4' tall but it's extremely effective. And while it's not evergreen, we
have a Wisteria planted as a 'tree'. When it's in flower, it's really
lovely.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com