Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Which Tree

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

So it's well drained, if it's also sunny how about Albizia
julibrissin, the Silk Tree. Can take the cold to a point, -12°C in
a friends garden, but not cold with wet roots hence my comment
about well drained. Similar but slightly bigger eventually is
Acacia dealbata what we call Mimosa (N.Americans call the other one
Mimosa)

Summers are too bloody cold for the former - I have one, but it isn't
growing, as the new wood fails to ripen enough to come through the
winter. Acacia dealbata isn't much easier in most parts.

I've had A. julibrissin v. rosea for several years, but although it grows
well enough it hasn't flowered yet. I think I know when it will flower; now
where did I put that calendar with the date of hell freezing over?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)