Old 06-07-2008, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Which Tree

In article ,
bobharvey writes:
| On 5 Jul, 19:56, Blairadamwitch Blairadamwitch.
| wrote:
| Hi,
| Looking for advice on a tree to plant in my small front garden.
|
| Don't want anything too expensive and would prefer an evergreen but
| I'm flexible. My soil is clay builders junk/rubble.
|
| I'd consider a fruit tree. ...

I would advise against a fruit tree, of the sort bred for cropping.
They are prone to a hell of a lot of problems in poor conditions.

However, a crab apple or even one of the traditional damsons is
another matter. They are usually a lot easier to grow, equally
decorative, and you can still eat the fruit. Indeed, many of the
small-tree Rosaceae would do, as other people have suggested
(Amelanchier, Sorbus etc. etc. as well as Malus and Prunus).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.