Old 06-07-2008, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Which Tree

On 6/7/08 11:15, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
bobharvey writes:
| On 5 Jul, 19:56, Blairadamwitch Blairadamwitch.
| wrote:
| Hi,
| Looking for advice on a tree to plant in my small front garden.
|
| Don't want anything too expensive and would prefer an evergreen but
| I'm flexible. My soil is clay builders junk/rubble.
|
| I'd consider a fruit tree. ...

I would advise against a fruit tree, of the sort bred for cropping.
They are prone to a hell of a lot of problems in poor conditions.

However, a crab apple or even one of the traditional damsons is
another matter. They are usually a lot easier to grow, equally
decorative, and you can still eat the fruit. Indeed, many of the
small-tree Rosaceae would do, as other people have suggested
(Amelanchier, Sorbus etc. etc. as well as Malus and Prunus).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

NB to OP, not evergreen though, if that matters a lot.
--
Sacha