Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jo Green Jo Green is offline

Default What vegtables can I plant now - advice/suggestions please

On Jul 3, 6:49*am, Clunas wrote:
Hi,
I have just cleared a large section of lawn and have prepared it for
planting. I would like to see that veg will grow in the site. I would
very much like advice on what veg I can plant now (July in South East
Scotland) to test the site. Is it too late to plant root veg such as
potatoes?
I an quite an experienced gardener but I not had the space before to
plant veg.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

--
Clunas

Hi Clunas,

Summer seems to comes later to Scotland. Some summers are warmer
warmer and some colder although the trend seems to be toward warmer.

Although it is late for potatoes, there are still quite a few
vegetables you can sow in July. Here are a few: Spring Cabbage,
Chicory, Chinese cabbage, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Peas, French Beans,
Beetroot, Carrots, and Radishes.

Sometimes when it is past planting time for some vegetables such as
potatoes, you can purchase developed plants to speed the growing
process. Be sure to provide adequate fertilizer and moist soil as the
July months can be somewhat dry in your climate.

Jo Green