Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default No Till Farming

Charlie wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:35:24 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

As you will see, industrial no-till was introduced
to combat the erosion and loss of top soil. But industrial no-till
relies on expensive chemical inputs of fertilizers and increasing
quantities of chemical remedies to combat pests (vegetative and insect
problems)

I think your post is a bit too broad in it's scope.

You might be interested to read up on P.A. Yeomans and his farming methods
ie keyline. He was a broadacre farmer who really understood how to
conserve
and in fact improve his land with some mechanical tillage (of sorts)

Hmmmm......thanks for the reference, Fran. Just when one thinks he
will retire for a bit, some bloody ******* comes along and loads his
plate with another serving......I'll never catch up with all my reading
and studies!!!!

:-)) Us bloody *******s love to give other bloody *******s homework.

I trust your travels were rewarding?

Fabulous! Cambodia was rather distressing though. I came back energised
and grateful for being born in a rich western country. I've been hauling
major quantities of horse poop for the garden and making major inroads
against winter weeds of which there are many. I should have paid more
attention to certain parts of the garden over summer and done some major
mulching and maintenance - I'm paying for my sloth now (but enjoying it).
(One tip - never, ever fly Vietnam Airlines - walk, swim or use a donkey in
preference - I wouldn't recommend that airline to people I hate).