Old 08-07-2008, 12:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Invincible Weed? I hope not!

"gecko" wrote in message
I have been fighting a weed for a few years now, all to no avail. It
is sometimes called 'wiregrass'. sometimes 'witchgrass', I think.
It grows long 'stringers' below and above ground, and when I pull one
up, sometimes the 'stringer' is a foot or two long! Terrible stuff.

I have tried a few weed killers, such as Weed-B-Gone, and weed killers
in Turf Builder. I think the danged weed feeds on that.

The local nursery tells me that you can't kill it except by using a
vegetation killer, which of course would kill grass and everything.
I hate to think of doing that.

I guess I have a few questions. First, is a vegetation killer my only
choice? If not, what else can I try? If so, when do I apply it? In
the Fall? Second, how soon after something as drastic as that can I
then plant grass seed? Seems to me that the killer would exist in the
soil for a while. Maybe years?

Thanks
-GECKO

I'm a "do it myself" kind of guy, but I will admit that I do not have a
green thumb and don't know beans about lawncare. I do my part, mowing and
watering, but I leave chemical applications to the pros. Maybe you have a
good professional outfit in your area that could help?