Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Which Tree

On 8/7/08 16:34, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Janet Tweedy;802531 Wrote:
I have an arbutus in my garden, chalk, flint and clay
but def. NOT acid. Done so well it's outgrown it's place at the back of

a border between my flowers and my veg.!
Very rarely gets watered

Arbutus unedo plainly ought to be very drought resistant given its
natural habitat in mediterranean lands. Only this April I was walking
through arbutus forests in Sardinia, where they have a very dry hot
summer, though they grow only about 3m tall in such conditions. I saw
taller ones in damper NW Portugal. Though I find mine is inclined to
wilt in persistent dry conditions - perhaps you have to grow them hard
to get them to be drought resistent.

We saw them in Cyprus up in the Trodos mountains and they were big - around
18 to 20' I'd guess.
snip

--
Sacha