Old 09-07-2008, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tom J Tom J is offline

Default Fig Tree

sueb wrote:

"Phylogenies of insects and their host plants
There are several hundred species of fig trees (Ficus species) found
throughout the world and each has its own unique species of
pollinating wasp. The fig is totally dependent upon the wasp for
pollination while the wasp is similarly dependent upon the fig
fruits
for the development of its offspring.

That writer knows not of what he writes. That's just not the case in
the SE USA. In 70 years of eating fresh figs right off the bush and 60
years of making fig preserves and fig syrup, I have yet to find a wasp
or wasp larva in or on a fig. What I have found are yellow jackets,
ants and gnats where some were left until they were over ripe and
split, but that's it.

Tom J