Old 09-07-2008, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default tomatoes in a cold climate

"IZI" wrote in message

IZI;802540 Wrote:
hi everyone, i am a new member so hello to all! this year i didn't do
tomatoes as i had a bad experience with blight a while back. however i
would like to try again and wondered if anyone could help with the
following, how to control blight and as i am in a northern climate can
you suggest hardy varieties that would stand up to being grown outside
in a chillier climate! thanx izi[/QUOTE

hi, by northern climate i mean northern ireland, thanx izi

Tomatoes are warm/hot season plants, if it is too cold they just won't grow,
although they won't fruit well if it is too hot I doubt that will be a
problem.

Izi this is an international forum, I would guess most of us haven't been to
Northern Ireland so how about filling in some details about the conditions.

How many months of summer do you get without any frost or freezing?

What would be the typical overnight minimum and daily maximum temperature
during that period?

David