Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Growing Kabochas - When to pick them?

said:

The Tetsukabuta is a special interspecies cross by Sakata. The process
of making an interspecies cross is pretty complicated and patented. It
requires modification of the pollen from one species to be accepted by
the other. The result is considered to sterile, but I have not tried
it. As far as I know that is the only one available in the US although
Sakata has named several others.

All I can say is that it's a beautiful squash, and very productive even in
the face of squash vine borers. I supposed it gets that trait from its
C. moschata parent, as C. maxima squash tend to be quite vulnerable.
(That's why I grow butternuts as a pollinator for them.)

Some of the seed from the harvest looks plump enough to be viable, but
a lot of it looks... puny might be the proper word.. I've never been
tempted to save any seeds to see if they sprout or not.

After enlightenment, the laundry.