Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_215_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_215_] is offline

Default New Reader/Poster

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

When my wife was alive, I grew many vegetables, but have found it
unrewarding since living alone.
This year I planted half a dozen runner beans and some salad bowl
lettuce, because I like tender beans for stir-fries, and because the
lettuce provides a steady supply of leaves which are sufficient for my
needs.
I have also re-instated my resolve that half an hour in the garden each
day can keep it tidy, after a period of neglect, I'm afraid.

We all make ourselves similar promises...

I have only a small garden, 90ft from front to rear of my property, and
mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

I was tempted 'out of cover' by the thread on Physostegia, the first
contribution I have been able to make since reading the group for a few
weeks.
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

I'm sure your basket will be overflowing with suggestions.

I'll start with leeks.

....and kale plants