Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H Gordon H is offline

Default New Reader/Poster

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.
It would have been devastating for my wife, but she died before any were
born.

In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

I'm sure your basket will be overflowing with suggestions.
I'll start with leeks.

I have grown them in the past, and enjoy them in soups and stir-fries as
an alternative to onions. They were never competition size. ;-)
ISTR that you sow the seeds, then lift and drop the young plants into
dibbed holes in loose soil, water 'em, and wrap them for blanching as
they grow.
I used foam pipe lagging.
--
Gordon H