Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Spelling and lavender offer

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:14:30 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I have at last reached official grumpy old bat status. i was sent an
email by the daily telegraph today about lavenders on special offer and
it read
"Dear Mrs Tweedy,

The wet weather may have you thinking otherwise, but we are
actually in the full throws of summer and now is the perfect
time to make the most of your garden."

I was tempted for at least a minute to email them back pointing out the
correct spelling of "throes"!!

Vocabulary is not what it was.
Recently I have heard two words on radio reports which sounded wrong;
1. "a pool of smoke" (relating to a reported fire) should be "pall"
2. from a weather forecast, "it doesn't order well for the tennis
tomorrow." (augur?)

They don't teach it like it orta be tort.

Pam in Bristol