Old 09-07-2008, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rehn rehn is offline

Default Worms in my pears. Pear midge

About a year ago I asked about Worms in my pears in:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...a59d3da0b8de42

The diagnose was Pear midge.
I tried to catch the falling pears in a net. But it was of no use
since most of the maggots had already left the pears.
I also covered up the ground and found a significant number of maggots
dead on the cover.
Unfortunately I got some heavy rain so some of the maggots was flushed
of the cover.
In addition to this I covered the ground in the spring, if it made any
difference I don't know.
All this seemed to make a difference, the ratio affected to unaffected
pears was significantly lower this year.

But unfortunately, we had bad pollination this spring so the number of
unaffected pears are low too.
I did no see a single bee in the tree this spring, just some
bumblebees, I think I have to find a
beekeeper and ask him to move some hives to our neighbourhood.

John Rehn