Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Devon ahoy

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 9/7/08 14:32, in article ,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We're thinking of selling the cars and buying a couple of canoes....

... and if the wind gets up again I'll set sail and come and see you!

Jennifer - in Bristol

Mooring lines are in place, Jennifer! The garden is just sodden and water
is pouring down all the lanes as if they were streams. I should think the
river Dart at Staverton Bridge must be overflowing its banks. We have great
pools of water lying on the lawn, especially under the big old cedar tree
and we won't be able to walk on it for ages because it just seems to hold
the water like a giant sponge.
The roses have given up the unequal struggle and are brown balls of wet
misery.
Still - someone has told us it's going to be a lovely September!

Electricity was due to be off all day because they were supposed to be
burying a cable and connecting it. Decided not to go into Naaardge this
morning, cycled into the village and did a bit of shopping, and lined-up
some unelectric activities for the day.

Eclectic Elves arrived in their mobile toolbox/canteen, faffed about a
bit, then one of them revisited all the houses which had been warned of
the 'outage' to say that the other half of the job hadn't been done -
namely, the laying of the cable, so they couldn't connect it up, and we
could have power all day...

Then it began raining.

And it continued.

And didn't stop.

And it's still raining.

The forecast was for a better day than yesterday. Did they mean to say a
wetter day?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig