Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Just a heads up on Usenet aka $ for less

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 00:36:52 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

For the po' folk, working poor, rural folks that don't have access to
hi-speed access; there exists still internet service providers that have
their own usenet (genuine) new servers free of charge. Phone modem is
adequate for text as normally used in newsgroups except for those
downloading copied movies, nude movies, and child porn.

Funny you didn't mention availability of mp3s.

And warez.

If you don't know the difference, check out the definition of usenet/ news
server vs. instances like giganews and its sister Google for news. Usenet,
and, news servers that hold usenet data, have been around much, much longer.

Feh! Sevearl years ago it was postulated that roughly 7% of online
users had any effing clue about The Usenet and was relatively ignored
by by the great unwashed and Them. Now Usenet is trashed up with
webbies that don't have any friggin' idea about that in that which they
participate.

Witness the latest post in RGE...."Hi.. I'm new and I just joined..."
gardenbanter horseshit.

For that matter, except in the cases where you have to download large data
like SP3 for XP, most people don't really need hi speed internet. Unless,
of course, you're into nudity, illegally copied movies, or, child porn.

Funny you didn't mention availability of mp3s.

And warez.

Charlie

Hmmm ....

Extra information for those that may not know. I have a feeling most
people here do know about other usenet newsgroups that are out there.
Even if your internet service provider does not provide for a full
usenet newsgroup service, one can still find some free newsgroups out
there.

There are many usenet newsgroups that have their own free servers.
For example I subscribe to "adobeforums.com" (free) as well as the
forums that Comcast provides through Giganews. Many of the servers that
cost money like Giganews often picks up the free servers as well as
provide their own newsgroups.

Example: Adobe has several newsgroups that is not carried by Giganews.
And yes, the usenet newsgroups are all Adobe Software related. And yes
one first has to go to "adobe.com" web site to start a log-in process.
Once that is done, enter the server name "adobeforums.com" and enter
your login id then a new separate list of newsgroups will show up in
your news reader. One reason I like this group is that many of the
people on line are actual adobe employees answering the questions of
peoples postings - not just users responding to users for help like the
web based forums.

There are many such news groups out there. One just has to Google and
find them. It is time consuming, but one can find a source of
information of ones' interest that is not normally found in Giganews or
other pay for services... without the ads, pop up messages and pics.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.