Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Larry Stoter Larry Stoter is offline

Default Bosch Quiet Shredders OK for Mixed Waste?

takethisout wrote:

I am looking for a garden shredder and answers to an earlier post were
pointing me in the direction of the Bosch quiet shredders. I am looking
at the AXT2000 HP, which has the spiral cutting system, rather than the
much more powerful AXT2200 HP, which is probably a bit over the top for
my needs.

I have used the cheap noisy type of shredder in the past and am not keen
to repeat the experience, but before I commit to one of these quiet
shredders, I would welcome advice on whether they are really suitable
for the waste from my medium sized garden.

I have a few trees and it is clear that these shredders have no problem
with prunings from those. I understand that soft herbaceous stuff does
not need shredding, but I tend to have a lot of shrub prunings and
tougher herbaceous stuff to dispose of.

The shrubs include stuff like Buddleja, Lavatera, Forsythia, Dogwood,
Elder etc.

The tougher herbaceous stuff that takes a long time to rot down includes
Leucanthemum (Ox-eye Daisy)and Lupin stems.

Has anybody any experience of using these shredders with this type of waste?

TIA

Steve

I started the previous thread - following the advice given, I went out
and bought the Bosch 2000 HP Quiet Shredder. Homebase currently have
them at £199. Be careful, there are very similar, cheaper blade-type
Bosch shredders, with similar model numbers - easy to pick up the wrong
one if you don't pay attention.

Very impressed, quieter than I was expecting. As long as you don't try
to feed too much green material in at the same time, it handles it fine.
Supplied with a carefully designed metal hook which you can safely
waggle around inside and shove stuff about as the hook is just too short
to reach the blades :-)

Last weekend it happily chomped up a load of prunings from a Horse
Chestnut - branches to 25 mm, thinner twigs and attached juicy green
leaves. Munched through buddleia, some leylandii, etc

It also nicely deals with corrugated cardboard - the box it came in is
now shredded into the compost heap rather than my having to take it down
to the local tip!
--
Larry Stoter