Old 06-07-2008, 12:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
theChas theChas is offline

Default electric leaf blowers ?

I tried my first electric leaf blower/vac (Weed Eater 15 amp) on the
5th, and it was terrific for the first and only 10 minutes. Then the GFIC
kicked out and when I reset, and restarted the blower, there was terrible
arcing from the brushes, and the smell. I suspect the high amperage kicked
out the GFIC. I returned it to WalMart ($39.23), no problems.
I was so highly impressed with its operation before its demise that I
would buy another, hoping the one I had was a rarity. In fact, I would
gamble on the next one being that I could replace the brushes and turn the
commutator and remedy the problem. I would prefer a metal turbine but the
one I had used a plastic one. The Weed Eater web site comes up POULAN and
the impeller and brushes (very decent prices) are available. But the 'motor
assembly' is almost $52.00.
The way it sucked up the leaves and mulched them really impressed me.
In fact, the pile of leaves I faced I thought would take at least 6 trips to
empty the bag. I ended up with only a guarter of a bag full of leaves,
before it died. Problem now is there are none available in Western Montana
(110 mile radius). Prices at the online auctions for a new one are too
high. I only need it for about 3 hours per year, in the vacuum
configuration. What I read about the small gas types is the starter ropes
and return mechanisms are short lived. I have no need of a heavy duty
(expensive) type and I would prefer electric, but would be open to a small
dependable gas model.
Sure would appreciate any imput anyone could provide about their
experiences in this area.