Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Growing Kabochas - When to pick them?

said:

I don't recall ever having problems with pests in my squash/pumpkin
growing adventures.

I think those damned squash vine borers are only found east of the Rockies.
The other annoying pests of squash (here) are striped cucumber beetles,
which can chew young squash plants to nubs. These can carry a wilt
disease (the reason I don't grow cukes or melons anymore).

I used to grow pumpkins exclusively. I actually got
into kabocha cultivation completely by accident. One year a kabocha came
up in my pumpkin patch, perhaps more than one. This was a few years ago.
I hadn't a clue what I was growing and when I spotted what looked like
the same squash at my local very well produce stocked market, I asked
what it was and was told "kabocha." I've grown them exclusively ever
since, preferring them very much to pumpkins, which is (I think) what
you are referring to when you speak of C. Maximus, right?

Most of the 'classic' Jack o'lantern and pie pumpkins are C. pepo, as are
acorn, sweet dumplings, and delicata squash (plus zuchinnis other summer
squash). But there are a few C. maxima types that are orange and grown as
pumpkins (and all of the giant monster pumpkins are C. maxima). The
ghostly white pumpkins are C. maxima, too.

Even so, I
often find a pumpkin or two in my patch, and there is one beautiful
specimen in my garden at present, about the size of a volley ball.

In order to control what comes up next year, assuming I purchase seeds
online, I'm obviously going to have to stop tossing the seeds and pulp
from my squash into my compost. I get volunteers in my tomatoes, basil
and celery (which I pull). No doubt, I currently also get volunteers
among my squash, but can't determine which plants are volunteers.

Clean those seeds off a bit and you could either roast and eat them yourself
or feed them to the local wildlife. The local squirrels and cardinals are
crazy for squash seeds.

After enlightenment, the laundry.