Old 10-07-2008, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Spelling and lavender offer

On 10/7/08 09:06, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:
snip

When I purchase a plant I do not pay for the labour, I consider that I
pay for the expert. After all if I could propagate I would do so. My
Mother was quite adept, and often snuck a little bit of plant hanging
over a wall. I used to tell her that if everyone did that there would be
no plant left, her reply being "Well they don't do they?"

If you didn't pay for the labour one way or another, there wouldn't be any!
;-) But a lot of our customers don't take cuttings. Either they don't know
how to, can't be bothered, or don't have the facilities to raise them. What
is surprising is that a few - not many - think that running a nursery isn't
really a business that houses, clothes and feeds people, but that it's
merely an extension of their own gardening hobby! OTOH, some rather nice
people ask if they can take cuttings off a plant if they want more of it or
if they're worried it won't get through the winter. Then they look
embarrassed and say perhaps they shouldn't have asked us as that. As we
often suggest it ourselves, they are swiftly reassured. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com