Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany
Tom J Tom J is offline

Default What kind of tree is this (link)? Is this fruit edible?

Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 9, 11:59?pm, Zarlot531 wrote:
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

Looks like some variety of pear.

Looks like a Kiefer pear to me. That's a cross between the Chinese
sand pear and Bartlett that is course grained and not very good eating
fresh. They are excellent canned. Can while still firm because they
never get really soft like a bartlett. It'll be another couple of
months before they are ripe enough to can. We have eaten them for
years.
Picture at bottom of page:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/s...319/1pear.html
Care in your area: