Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
~ jan

Default New with questions!

The only pro I can say about pre-forms is when people use them as above
ground ponds, someone on here has a great patio corner pond they use for
their turtle for a visual.

In the ground, go for liner. You might want to check out permalon at
www.kencofish.com better that that pvc, imo.

You can do 2 ft in Zone 5 if you use a stock tank heater and bubbler in the
winter, you could also cover it like some do. I use vinyl screening on mine
(picture on website) but some actually build little temporary green houses
over theirs. Good choice, 3 goldfish (preferable fantails), other wise,
possible poor choice as 3 goldfish soon become 300, than 3,000, than
massive die off and you're back to 3 and usually the ugliest ones.... ;o)

See my website, my 1,000 gallon lily pond including the liner (45ml EPDM),
bottom drain and plumbing pieces for future filter and grey blocks around
perimeter, $300. My koi pond w/filter would probably cost about $1,000, but
the open cell foam alone is $300 of that. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter designs:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On 07 Apr 2003 17:23:05 GMT, (DawgMichelle) wrote:

I live in zone 5 also (lma,Ohio). My pond is 3 1/2 feet deep and I had
no problem with fish wintering over all are ok.

I'm in Dayton, Ohio! I doubt I would go 3.5 feet deep, though....I was
thinking more along the lines of 2 feet. (I know it's minimum depth, but it's
all the liner I can afford.)

I have another thought process for my pond....a local business offers a
do-it-yourself package for $929.00. Included a

15X18 liner (45mil EPDM)
5X6 waterfall liner
12X18 Underliner
Supreme 1200gph pump
25' of spiral flex tubing
Pre-filter box
Kiss 1500R bio-filter/waterfall

Now, having looked at each piece through other sources, I can get everything
for $580. I know I'm talking an addition $500 over my original ideas, but I'm
wondering if it would be worth the extra money to do things "better" the first
time.

Also, what can anyone tell me about Xavan liners? I found a website that sells
a 19X13 for $181.00. (A 15X18 45mil EPDM goes for $175 on ebay.)

Thanks and sorry for the change in direction, but I really don't want to get
stuck with something that I'll later regret.

Thanks!

Michelle