Old 10-07-2008, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Don't mention the war.......

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

........of the wasps. We've just had a wasps nest destroyed and the
man from
the council said "good job too". Apparently what we had trying to nest in
the eaves of the tea room kitchen, were German wasps. I don't think I've
ever heard of them but according to him they're smaller, darker than our
natives and very very vicious. He said that while the well-mannered English
wasp will mostly ignore you if you don't bother it, these will positively
attack you if you're near them.
Anyone else had any experience of these wasps?

Yes, they are bad news. There was one area of the estate I do a bit of
work on sometimes where a colony started, and I used to carry a large
springy fly-swatter. I think I would have won Wombledom that year.

Found the nest and one night, tipped a quantity of shotgun powder into
it through a funnel, lit a fuse to it, and WHOOOMPH! that was that.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig